Saltel FracPacker* is a zonal isolation packer for Shale Fracturing applications. Saltel Fracpacker is based on proprietary expandable stainless steel technology.
FracPacker working principles
The stainless steel packer sleeve expands between the casing and the borehole, applying pressure in the casing string. The sealing achieves with a thin layer of elastomer. Dynamic seals mounted between steel rings can be added to improve sealing capacity. The patented pressure balanced double sleeve design allows for the application of varying annular differential pressures while cycling the temperature without losing the seal. The welded end fittings also serve as protection to the expandable sleeve while running in the well. Rotation is possible while running in, full casing characteristics are maintained. The expanded sleeve also acts as a centralizer to the casing string once expanded.
FracPacker technical challenges
- Seal effectively in oval, out of gauge or irregular borehole
- Avoid thermal contraction when injecting fluids at a temperature lower than formation temperature
- No waiting time: expand on-demand and immediately seal after applying expansion pressure
- Keep control of the pressure applied by the packer on the formation ensure a good seal without creating a high-stress point
- Eliminate extra-connections and maintain casing rating
Access unconventional resources with expandable steel open hole zonal isolation packer technology Challenge Shale fracturing requires high pressure to stimulate the formation (Shale). Depth, deviation, temperature, high pressure are often obstacles…