Saltel Frac Packer* is a zonal isolation packer for Shale Fracturing applications. Saltel Fracpacker is based on proprietary expandable stainless steel technology.
FracPacker working principles
When applying pressure in the casing string: the metal frac packer sleeve expands between the casing and the borehole. The sealing achieves with a thin layer of elastomer. Besides, we can add dynamic seals between the steel rings to improve sealing capacity. The pressure-balanced double sleeve design is patented. It allows applying varying annular differential pressures while cycling the temperature without losing the seal. The welded end fittings serve as protection to the expandable sleeve while running in the well. Rotation is possible while running in, full casing characteristics are maintained. The expanded sleeve also acts as a centralizer to the casing string once expanded.
FracPacker technical challenges
- Seal effectively in oval, out of gauge or irregular borehole.
- Avoid thermal contraction when injecting fluids at a temperature lower than formation temperature.
- No waiting time: expand on-demand and immediately seal after applying expansion pressure.
- Keep control of the pressure applied by the frac packer on the formation.
- Ensure a good seal without creating a high-stress point.
- Eliminate extra-connections and maintain casing rating.
Access unconventional resources with expandable steel open hole zonal isolation packer technology Challenge Shale fracturing requires high pressure to stimulate the formation (Shale). Depth, deviation, temperature, high pressure are often obstacles…