Open Hole Packer oil and gas
Saltel Xpandable Steel open hole packer addresses oil and gas annular isolation requirements.
Xpandable Steel Packer installation:
- Limited delta pressure
- Fast-setting procedure
- No weakening of the setting zone
- Tough RIH resistance
- Ability to take weight
Developing Xpandable Steel Open Hole Packers has opened new horizons. The simple principle of fixing an expandable steel sleeve onto the outside of the client’s base pipe by welding (cost effective) or crimping (high anchoring and pressure ratings without impacting the base casing characteristics), has opened a promising range of deformable steel solutions and applications, such as:
- Improving primary cementing, a robust steel packer can be run in as part of the casing string and expanded into the wet cement to shut-off gas migration, prevent cross flow, centralize the casing, and ensure an efficient cement job
- Zonal Isolation, between screens, slotted pipe, Inflow Control Devices,… An expandable steel packer will make an efficient annular seal in a short zone, avoiding the need for cement and allowing optimized production from selected zones
- Efficient stage cementing, by providing a high-performance steel packer below a DV-tool for correct cement placement
- Open-hole ball-drop multistage fracturing operations, offering annulus well barriers with high-pressure sealing capacity, and the ability to cover more washed-out areas, while maintaining the same differential pressure rating
How to activate the packer
The OH Packer is slid onto the base casing joint and fixed – either welded or crimped. The expandable stainless steel sleeve requires hydraulic pressure from the casing to an inflation port to inflate until complete plastic deformation and valve activation. This creates a permanent and robust annulus seal.
Sturdy to run, quickly-set, bringing a high-pressure life of the well seal, Xpandable Steel Packer comes out in the open and cased hole completion segment as a game-changing alternative for annular zonal isolation.
Saltel Packer oil and gas – Reliable sealing
The packer achieves sealing against the formation with a thin layer of bonded elastomer (HNBR). Dynamic seals can be mounted between steel rings to enhance the sealing capacity and increase the temperature range. The packers’ end fittings protect the expandable sleeve while running in the well.