SES Open Hole Patch
Saltel Expandable Steel Open Hole Patch
Running an Open Hole SES-Patch is an effective solution to seal off total loss zones and leaving full ID.
The Expandable Steel Patch can be set in an underreamed zone to leave full ID to continue drilling.
The Down Hole Expansion Tool is positioned inside the Expandable Steel Patch. The inflatable packer section is then inflated enough to grip the inside of the Patch (not enough to start expansion). The assembly is Run In Hole to the setting zone. The packer is inflated using pressure from surface to expand the top of the Patch, anchoring it in place. The packer is then deflated, run in 3 to 5 ft / 1 to 1.5 m, and the next section is expanded. This is repeated as often as necessary until the full length is expanded, and BHA is pulled back to surface.
- Life of the well solution
- Seal effectively in open hole and irregular borehole
Features & Benefits
- The high expansion ratio enables running the Patch with a large clearance, avoiding sticking problems while running in hole
- A real time expandable setting controller verifies the ID of the set Patch during the operation. Any anomaly can be immediately detected and corrected
- Tubulars primarily made from 321 stainless steel
- Outer skin in hydrogenated nitrile (HNBR) profiled to avoid differential sticking, provide effective anchoring and to ensure a good seal
- The Patch will set effectively in any intermediate diameter within its range, seals effectively even with ovalisation up to 25%
- A second patch can be run through a previous Patch and set below
- Leave full bore access to the well below for drilling ahead